IREU | Details on Research Outside the U.S.
Information about the 2016 IREU Program will be available in Mid-November.
To receive the full ACS IREU positions in Germany, Italy, Singapore, or the UK students must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Be enrolled full-time in a chemistry, materials science, biochemistry, or chemical engineering program at an accredited U.S. university or college
- Have one semester or summer of prior experience working in a research laboratory outside of normal coursework
- Be a rising junior or senior by the end of the program with at least one semester of enrollment remaining after the summer
- Competitive applicants will have a GPA above a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Please note that membership in ACS is not a judgement criteria and all students, regardless of membership status, are welcome to apply
Students selected for IREU positions in Germany or in Italy, Singapore, and the United Kingdom will receive the following considerations and compensations in exchange for their involvement:
- Allowances for housing and meals during your 10 week stay
- Round-trip international airfare and local transport from the airport to your host university or institute
- A required pre-departure orientation in May/June in Washington, D.C.
- A trip to the spring 2017 ACS National Meeting in San Francisco, CA to present the results of your research
- A language training allowance
- International medical insurance coverage
In exchange for the IREU award, students must:
- Work full-time (40 hours/week) in the laboratory
- Submit a full scientific report on the research results to ACS
- Prepare an abstract and poster (or oral presentation) at the Spring ACS national meeting
- Maintain communication with the ACS program management throughout the full stay abroad
- Complete entrance, exit, and alumni surveys from ACS as requested
Important Links for U.S. Students
|IREU overview outside the U.S.
How to apply
2016 Application for US Students
Details on the program
List of Perugia projects
List of Singapore projects
List of Strathclyde projects
List of Germany projects
Important Links for International Students
|IREU overview inside the U.S.
2015 application form
List of U.S. Summer Hosts